Is This You, Or Someone You Know?
- Are you overweight, with a waist measurement of more than 80 cm if you are a woman, or more than 94 cm if you are a man?
- Do you have problems with your cholesterol – i.e. low levels of high density lipoproteins (HDL) – the ‘good’ cholesterol?
- Do you have high blood fats – i.e. high triglycerides?
- Do you have high blood pressure?
- Do you have high blood sugar levels – i.e. diabetes or pre-diabetes?
If you answered ‘Yes’ to three or more of these questions, you may have Metabolic Syndrome (sometimes known as Syndrome X), and you need a health check today!
What is Metabolic Syndrome?
Metabolic Syndrome is the name given to a collection of disorders that occur together and act as a warning sign that you are heading on a path towards serious chronic diseases such as diabetes and heart disease. The first sign of Metabolic Syndrome is excess fat around the
middle. Even if your waist measurement is only just over 80 cm if you are a woman, or more than 94 cm if you are a man, you could be increasing your risk of some serious complications.
You’re Not Alone!
Metabolic Syndrome has been described as a modern epidemic. In Australia, it is estimated that one in three people over the age of 25 years has Metabolic Syndrome. People with Metabolic Syndrome are three times more likely to develop cardiovascular disease and up to five times more likely to develop type 2 diabetes compared to healthy people.
Early Warning Signs…
As well as those discussed previously, other early warning signs that you might have Metabolic Syndrome include:
- Low energy
- Skin tags
- Low libido
- Memory loss
- Sleep apnoea
If you experience any of these symptoms and you have not had your waist measurement, cholesterol, blood pressure or blood glucose levels checked recently, contact our Clinic to make an appointment.
What are the Causes of Metabolic Syndrome?
For hundreds of thousands of years, humans have lived and thrived with a life of enforced physical activity and no processed foods. Our bodies now struggle to maintain balance in the face of modern dietary and lifestyle challenges where there is a constant supply of calories, high sugar and high fat foods combined with a lack of daily exercise. The causes of Metabolic Syndrome are all within your control and include things like:
- Sedentary lifestyle – i.e. lack of exercise
- High carbohydrate diet
- Poorly managed stress
- Genetic factors such as a family history of diabetes or heart disease
- Cigarette smoking
The Good News!
The good news is we can help you change the course of your health to lead a happier, healthier life. We can help you with some simple recommendations, such as:
- A low glycaemic load diet may improve fat burning, weight loss and help you achieve and maintain a lean body composition.
- Regular aerobic exercise will encourage weight loss, reduce cholesterol levels and reduce blood sugar levels.
- Stress management techniques, such as yoga and meditation are a great way to nurture your mind. Remember, poorly managed stress is one of the causes of Metabolic Syndrome!
- Along with a healthy lifestyle and diet, there are many nutritional and herbal supplements that we can recommend for you to help address the causes of Metabolic Syndrome.
Make Positive Changes Today!
Many people do not recognise the symptoms of Metabolic Syndrome and therefore do not seek out health care advice to help them turn the tide on this dangerous condition. Don’t let this be you! If you, or someone you know, may have Metabolic Syndrome, contact us today
for a check-up. Do not miss out on the opportunity to learn about positive dietary and lifestyle changes you can make today to get you back on track and prevent a future of debilitating disease.
Take the first step towards a healthy future today.
Ask us about Metabolic Syndrome and the ways to change from a future of chronic disease to a future of health and vitality. Prevention is the best medicine!